Legion logo

Branch banner

New Legion Poppy

 

 

HMCS Lanark (K669 / FFE321)

 


Alternatively named for the town of Perth, Ontario, because the latter name was used by another ship, she was commissioned on July 6, 1944, at Montréal, Quebec. The River Class frigate Lanark arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia on July 28. She carried out work-ups in Bermuda in September and, returning to Halifax in October, was assigned to the newly formed Escort Group C-7, Londonderry, Northern Ireland. She spent the balance of the European war on convoy duty, most of that time as Senior Officer’s ship, and sailed for home in early June 1945.

 

In mid-July, she began refit at Liverpool, Nova Scotia, but this was called off on August 31, 1945, and the ship was paid off at Sydney, Nova Scotia, on 24 October.

She was then placed in reserve at Shelburne, Nova Scotia, but was sold to Marine Industries Ltd. in 1946. Later re-purchased by the Royal Canadian Navy, she was converted to a Prestonian Class ocean escort 1954-55, and on April 26, 1956, re-commissioned for training purposes on the east coast. Lanark was paid off for the last time on March 16, 1965, and broken up at La Spezia, Italy, the following year.

Ship Type: Frigate Class: RIVER Class 43-44 Programme
Displacement: 1445 Tonnes Length: 301.5 Feet Breadth: 36.6 Feet Draught: 9 Feet
Top Speed: 19 Knots Pendant Number: K669 # of Officers: 8 # of Crew: 133
Armament: 2-4" (1 x II), 4-20mm, Hedgehog
Builder: Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal. Que.
Laid Down: 25-Sep-43 Launched: 10-Dec-43 Commissioned: 6-Jul-44 Paid Off: 24-Oct-45
Remarks: Recommissioned as a Prestonian Class on 15-Apr-56. Pendant Number FFE321. Finally Paid Off 19-Mar-65.
 

HMCS Lanark's bell located at RCL 244

River Class K 669

Prestonian Class FFE 321

 


We are The Guardians of Remembrance